Confession: I don’t bake a lot of meaty treats for Sam. With the exception of bacon, he’s just not all that into meat. But…there’s something about the flavor of these little bites that makes him go wild. Maybe it’s the cheese (he’s definitely into THAT). Maybe it’s the tomato paste. I don’t know. But he’d eat half a batch of these treats in one sitting if I let him. So…if your dog seems to prefer sweet over savory (but you’re tired of making peanut butter treats), this dog treat recipe is definitely worth a try.
Italian Beefy Bites
2 cups cooked ground beef (about 2/3 lb. raw)
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2 large eggs
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2. Brown the ground beef.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef crumbles to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the tomato paste and toss until the beef is coated.
5. Add the cheese, flour, dry milk and eggs and mix well. Note: I use a combination of stirring and “mushing” to get all the dry ingredients to incorporate.
6. Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto your greased baking sheets. Note: These don’t really expand while baking, so drop them onto the sheet in a size that would work best for your dog.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms of the treats are a nice golden brown.
- Makes 50-60 bite-sized dog treats
- Store these in the refrigerator
Adapted from a beef treats recipe that I found in The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook: Homemade Goodies for Man’s Best Friend